ROCKFORD (WREX) — 2021 say another year of online scams causing the most harm to consumers.
Rockford’s Better Business Bureau released the top 10 scams for the year:
- Online Purchase – (#1 for second year in a row – most often fake websites – often Pets)
- Phishing Scams – (Clicking on scam links can lead to malware — imposter scams)
- Employment – (Scam job offers – often work from home)
- Counterfeit Products (Clothing, electronics, shoes, purses, etc.)
- Fake Invoice/Supplier Bill (Sent to businesses who sometimes pay without checking)
- Identity Theft
- Sweepstakes and Lottery Scams (new)
- Debt Collections
- Tech Support Scams (new)
- Cryptocurrency (new)
Of the new scams, Rockford BBB Director called cryptocurrency the fastest growing scam. He says people’s overall lack of knowledge about crypto makes it easier for scammers to trick consumers.
Horton says the best way to avoid all of the top scams is to slow down on decision making and do thorough research.
“It’s imperative that people really do think before they act and do a little research for anything that they are doing online or responding to emails or text messages,” Horton said.
He also says consumers should use the old saying ‘if it’s too good to be true, it probably is’ when thinking about if something is a scam or not.